Make Your Backyard Great
Dated: June 14 2020
Summer is here! Many places are still closed or limited and everyone is tired of being cooped up inside the house, so entertaining has made the move from the living room to the backyard. We’ve now entered the season for barbecues and campouts. Given the various Stay-At-Home orders across the United States, and concern for safety, many people have cancelled vacations. Instead of a vacation destination, why not transform your backyard into a beautiful place for a stay-cation? Here are five ways to make sure your backyard is everyone’s favorite.
1. Make sure there’s a place to cook! The way to your guests’ hearts is through their stomachs. You could have something as simple as a charcoal grill or as elaborate as a fully-featured kitchen, but it‘s essential that you can prepare some food outdoors. Father’s Day is right around the corner so many places have started their Father’s Day sales on grills!
2. Lighting matters. At the very least you need enough lighting to keep the party going when the sun goes down. But for a backyard that really pops, add some decorative lighting to walkways, landscaping, or anything else worth highlighting. Tiki torches are always great to give your yard a Hawaiian flair.
3. Gather around the fire. This one is a no brainer. Everyone loves a good place to make hot dogs and s’mores—just make sure you’re not violating any neighborhood ordinances. Many hardware stores and yard stores have a great selection of fire pits and chimineas. You can even build your own firepit or fireplace to create a special gathering place.
4. Bring the beach to your backyard. A little water will make everything look better and can make you yard feel cooler. You might be thinking of something as simple as fountain or as elaborate as a waterfall or fish pond. When it comes to water in Albuquerque, you may want to check with the city regarding water use for anything big. For something seasonal, there are even adult-sized blow-up swimming pools.
5. Don’t forget the foliage! Trees, shrubs and flowers are all important for adding the finishing touches to your outdoor entertainment space. The trees and shrubs can provide some much-needed shade when the sun is out, and flowers add just the right amount of color. If you are unsure what might grow in your yard, take a soil sample to your local nursery and ask the professionals.
If you find yourself in need of a new house with a bigger backyard, give me call! I’d be happy to show you homes that may have that backyard space you’ve been searching for.
As a fourth generation native New Mexican and lifelong Albuquerque resident, Jeff Rose has a unique vision for the Albuquerque Real Estate market. He earned a BBA in Human Resources and Marketing fro....
Latest Blog Posts
|Address:||100 Sun Avenue NE, Suite 650
Albuquerque, NM 87109